The Global Health Institute (GHI) is seeking a well-rounded communications intern who can work on website maintenance, social media outreach, news writing, newsletter creation and other tasks as assigned. The position begins in May 2019 and will continue through the academic year.
During the summer, the intern will be expected to work 20 hours per week. Hours during the academic year are around 10 to 12, depending on workload and class schedule. The starting rate of pay is $10 per hour.
Submit a cover letter, resume and two writing samples to Ann Grauvogl at firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is April 19, 2019.
More information about the position is below.
- Write and edit content, including news stories, feature articles, news releases and development and website materials
- Post GHI events to campus calendars, including GHI, UW and Nelson Institute
- Assist in the planning and execution of a social media platform (Twitter, Facebook, Vimeo and Flickr)
- Assist with website maintenance, including posting new content and making existing content more user friendly
- Assist with the production of Events+, newsletters and the annual report
- Perform administrative services such as word processing, proofreading, fact checking, organizing photo files, preparing information for distribution, creating graphics, etc.
- Work at GHI events through set-up, cleanup and assistance throughout the event
- Other ad hoc projects that ensure that GHI communications run smoothly
- Excellent communication skills, especially listening, writing, editing and design capabilities
- Must be graduating no sooner than May 2020
- Be able to work starting in May
- Preferred: Global Health Certificate/ Nelson Institute students with experience in Journalism and Mass Communications/Life Sciences Communication
- Hands on experience with a variety of electronic tools such as MailChimp, Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, Twitter, Facebook, Vimeo, Instagram, WordPress
- Demonstrated ability to work independently within deadlines
- Enthusiasm for global health and GHI and a desire to share the mission and vision to attract support for the Institute