The Global Health Institute (GHI) is seeking a well-rounded communications intern who can take the lead on social media platforms and is also ready to contribute to the website and outreach efforts and produce a variety of materials from news stories to infographics. The position begins in September 2019 and will continue through the academic year.
During the academic year, the intern will be expected to work 10 to 12 hours per week, depending on workload and class schedule. More hours are available in the summer. The starting rate of pay is $10 per hour. Most hours will be spent at the Medical Sciences Center office.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume and two writing samples here (preferred). You may also submit a cover letter, resume and two writing samples to Ann Grauvogl at firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is August 9, 2019.
More information about the position is below.
- Take a lead role in the planning and execution of social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Vimeo
- Assist with the GHI website, including posting new content and making existing content more user friendly
- Assist in producing the weekly Events+ newsletter; assist with the e-newsletter and the annual report
- Write and edit content, including news stories, feature articles, news releases and development and website materials
- Perform administrative services such as word processing, proofreading, fact checking, organizing photo files, preparing information for distribution, creating graphics, etc.
- Work at GHI events through set-up, cleanup and assistance throughout the event
- Other ad hoc projects assigned by communications or administration that ensure that GHI communications run smoothly
- Excellent communication skills, especially listening, writing, editing and design capabilities
- Preferred: global health/ environmental health students with experience in Journalism and/or Mass Communications/Life Sciences Communication
- Hands on experience with social media, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn
- Hands on experience with a variety of electronic tools including MailChimp, Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator), Microsoft Office, WordPress
- Working knowledge of AP style
- Demonstrated ability to work independently within deadlines
- Must be able to work starting in September. Preference given to those who can also work through summer 2020 and into the next academic year
- Curiosity and enthusiasm for global health and GHI, and a desire to share the mission and vision to attract support for the Institute