Professional/Graduate and Capstone Certificate
Schools: Offered by the School of Medicine and Public Health, School of Nursing, School of Pharmacy, School of Veterinary Medicine, and the Division of International Studies. Available to graduate, health professional, and Capstone students in numerous global health-related disciplines.
Designation: Interdisciplinary Program
Majors and Degrees offered: none
Certificate Description: The Certificate in Global Health is a collaborative offering from the schools of Medicine and Public Health, Nursing, Pharmacy, Veterinary Medicine, and the Division of International Studies. The certificate curriculum focuses on global health topics and health issues that transcend national boundaries, emphasizing health and disease in developing countries.
Through a nine-credit program of preparatory course work and culminating in a global health field experience, students will be prepared to address health disparities in a context of cultural diversity. Certificate recipients may serve populations internationally or work among the increasingly diverse population of Wisconsin and the United States. Through core courses and electives, students may focus their studies on health promotion, detection and treatment of disease, prevention and management of outbreaks, health policy, environmental health, or other interdisciplinary topics.
The educational benchmarks for the Certificate program are as follows (see Core Competencies for more detail):
- Expansion and discussion of knowledge of major themes and trends in global health;
- Enhancement of communication skills for trans-cultural, interdisciplinary health practice;
- Demonstration of effective collaboration with colleagues abroad;
- Analysis of health system infrastructures at local and national levels;
- Discussion of ethical standards for conduct of research in international settings;
- Integration of one’s discipline-specific role with other disciplines to promote effective interdisciplinary team practice;
- Use of evidence-based principles in practice settings.
The Certificate in Global Health program is designed to assist traditional and non-traditional students with interests in global health. The Professional/Graduate Certificate is available to professional students in the health sciences as well as to graduate students in global health-related programs, such as engineering, education, area studies, and others. The Capstone Certificate is offered to individuals with a minimum of a Bachelors degree who have interest and/or experience in a global health-related field. The program is based in the Department of Population Health Sciences at the UW School of Medicine and Public Health and is administered by the Global Health Institute at UW-Madison.